2.50
Hdl Handle:
http://hdl.handle.net/10755/157918
Type:
Presentation
Title:
Is Nursing Research Based on Theory, to Guide practice?
Abstract:
Is Nursing Research Based on Theory, to Guide practice?
Conference Sponsor:Western Institute of Nursing
Conference Year:2009
Author:Bond, A. Elaine, DNSc, APRN, CCRN
P.I. Institution Name:University of Jordan, Faculty of Nursing
Title:Director, PhD Program
Contact Address:, Amman, 11942, Jordan
Contact Telephone:96279-638-3782
Co-Authors:Andaleeb Abu Kamal, MS, RN, PhDc, Doctoral Candidate; Lt. Colonel Imad al Jarrah, MS, RN, PhDc, Doctoral Candidate; Lt Colonel Mohammed Bani-Khaled, MS, RN, PhDc, Doctoral Candidate; Nidal Farid Eshah, MSc, RN, PhDc, Doctoral Candidate; Samira Habashneh,
Purpose/Aims: The aim of this descriptive study was to determine if nursing researchers are using nursing theories in their research to build a Nursing Science Discipline, with which to guide practice. Rationale/Conceptual Basis/Background: Early nursing scholars and educators envisioned a scientific discipline, complete with theory driven research and practice. Some current nursing scientists state present nursing studies are failing to incorporate theory into their research. King's Dynamic Interacting System (1971) was used as a conceptual framework. Methods: The authors evaluated nursing research from the 2006 JCR ISI Web of Knowledge's top ten nursing journals, which were available as full text articles in Jordan. They searched the Title, Abstract, Problem Statement, Methods, Discussion,, and the Conclusion. They evaluated whether the articles used nursing theories, theories borrowed from other disciplines, or no theory. Results: Seven nursing journals met the inclusion criteria: American Journal of Critical Care; Journal of Advanced Nursing; Journal of Clinical Nursing; Journal of Nursing Scholarship Nursing Research; Nursing Science Quarterly; and Research in Nursing and Health. For the years 2002-2006, there were 2857 articles published in these journals. Of the 2184 (76%) that were research articles, 460 (21%) used nursing theory, and 377 (17%) used theory from other disciplines, for a total of 819 (38%) who used theory. Seven hundred sixty-nine (94%) of those who used theory, integrated the theory into their study. The remaining 51 (6%) studies used theory as an organizing framework. Implications: For nursing scientists to guide the profession, in complex and dynamic health care changes, as they become leaders in interdisciplinary organizations, and address nursing's image for today's media and the public, there needs to be a firm vision of what it means to be a Nursing Science Discipline. This can best be done, by incorporating nursing theory in research to guide practice.
Repository Posting Date:
26-Oct-2011
Date of Publication:
17-Oct-2011
Sponsors:
Western Institute of Nursing

Full metadata record

DC FieldValue Language
dc.typePresentationen_GB
dc.titleIs Nursing Research Based on Theory, to Guide practice?en_GB
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10755/157918-
dc.description.abstract<table><tr><td colspan="2" class="item-title">Is Nursing Research Based on Theory, to Guide practice?</td></tr><tr class="item-sponsor"><td class="label">Conference Sponsor:</td><td class="value">Western Institute of Nursing</td></tr><tr class="item-year"><td class="label">Conference Year:</td><td class="value">2009</td></tr><tr class="item-author"><td class="label">Author:</td><td class="value">Bond, A. Elaine, DNSc, APRN, CCRN</td></tr><tr class="item-institute"><td class="label">P.I. Institution Name:</td><td class="value">University of Jordan, Faculty of Nursing</td></tr><tr class="item-author-title"><td class="label">Title:</td><td class="value">Director, PhD Program</td></tr><tr class="item-address"><td class="label">Contact Address:</td><td class="value">, Amman, 11942, Jordan</td></tr><tr class="item-phone"><td class="label">Contact Telephone:</td><td class="value">96279-638-3782</td></tr><tr class="item-email"><td class="label">Email:</td><td class="value">Elaine_Bond@BYU.edu</td></tr><tr class="item-co-authors"><td class="label">Co-Authors:</td><td class="value">Andaleeb Abu Kamal, MS, RN, PhDc, Doctoral Candidate; Lt. Colonel Imad al Jarrah, MS, RN, PhDc, Doctoral Candidate; Lt Colonel Mohammed Bani-Khaled, MS, RN, PhDc, Doctoral Candidate; Nidal Farid Eshah, MSc, RN, PhDc, Doctoral Candidate; Samira Habashneh,</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" class="item-abstract">Purpose/Aims: The aim of this descriptive study was to determine if nursing researchers are using nursing theories in their research to build a Nursing Science Discipline, with which to guide practice. Rationale/Conceptual Basis/Background: Early nursing scholars and educators envisioned a scientific discipline, complete with theory driven research and practice. Some current nursing scientists state present nursing studies are failing to incorporate theory into their research. King's Dynamic Interacting System (1971) was used as a conceptual framework. Methods: The authors evaluated nursing research from the 2006 JCR ISI Web of Knowledge's top ten nursing journals, which were available as full text articles in Jordan. They searched the Title, Abstract, Problem Statement, Methods, Discussion,, and the Conclusion. They evaluated whether the articles used nursing theories, theories borrowed from other disciplines, or no theory. Results: Seven nursing journals met the inclusion criteria: American Journal of Critical Care; Journal of Advanced Nursing; Journal of Clinical Nursing; Journal of Nursing Scholarship Nursing Research; Nursing Science Quarterly; and Research in Nursing and Health. For the years 2002-2006, there were 2857 articles published in these journals. Of the 2184 (76%) that were research articles, 460 (21%) used nursing theory, and 377 (17%) used theory from other disciplines, for a total of 819 (38%) who used theory. Seven hundred sixty-nine (94%) of those who used theory, integrated the theory into their study. The remaining 51 (6%) studies used theory as an organizing framework. Implications: For nursing scientists to guide the profession, in complex and dynamic health care changes, as they become leaders in interdisciplinary organizations, and address nursing's image for today's media and the public, there needs to be a firm vision of what it means to be a Nursing Science Discipline. This can best be done, by incorporating nursing theory in research to guide practice.</td></tr></table>en_GB
dc.date.available2011-10-26T20:19:49Z-
dc.date.issued2011-10-17en_GB
dc.date.accessioned2011-10-26T20:19:49Z-
dc.description.sponsorshipWestern Institute of Nursingen_GB
All Items in this repository are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.