13.00
Hdl Handle:
http://hdl.handle.net/10755/183066
Category:
Abstract
Type:
Presentation
Title:
Implementing Shared Governance at the Unit Level
Author(s):
Evidente, E.
Author Details:
E. Evidente, RNC, BSN, MA/HRDV, Munroe Regional Medical Center, Ocala, FL, email: joevangie@aol.com
Abstract:
Purpose: The purpose of this project was to develop and implement a shared governance structure at the unit level by establishing unit-based councils (UBCs) that are in conjunction and congruence with the current organization-wide nursing councils at Munroe that have been in existence for more than 10 years. Method: A Unit-Based Shared Governance (UB SG) Design Team was established to implement a shared governance structure at the unit level as well as to create and maintain a shared governance culture. The process started with a site visit by all team members to St. Joseph Hospital in Atlanta, Georgia, the "birthplace" of nursing shared governance to learn more about its concept and application. A model and structure for unit-based council shared governance was established and tools for implementation were developed. The UB SG Design Team conducted a survey to measure the current staff nurse practice environment perceived by direct care nurses prior to UBC implementation and the team developed actions for the four largest areas for improvement that were identified. The shared governance communication structure was improved through the development and revision of council web sites to facilitate a 2-way communication process utilizing the blog format. Unit shared governance nurse liaisons were also established on each nursing unit to further facilitate communication of shared governance information between the units and the Design Team. Unit-based council by-laws and a unit charter template were developed. Shared governance and unit-based council education and training of direct care nurses interested in leading or participating on a unit council were provided by the Design Team. The UBC was then rolled out for its hospital-wide implementation. Results: As a result of the Design Team?s efforts, 18 unit-based councils were established, which is 75% of all nursing units and procedure departments where nurses practice, with the remaining 25% in the planning stage of implementation. UBCs are sustained by quarterly UBC bashes attended by UBC leaders where each UBC accomplishments are recognized and celebrated and challenges are discussed. Discussion: There are data results that are still pending. These data include the post implementation staff nurse practice environment survey that will be repeated 12 months post UBC implementation and the RN satisfaction NDNQI survey to be conducted on September 2010. Currently, efforts are being taken to sustain shared governance at the unit level by each unit-based council. Efforts to improve coordination between organization-wide councils and the unit-based councils are in process through establishment of unit nurse liaisons to communicate input and feedback between the organization-wide councils and each nursing unit.
Repository Posting Date:
28-Oct-2011
Date of Publication:
28-Oct-2011
Conference Date:
2010
Conference Name:
7th Annual Florida Magnet Research Conference
Conference Host:
University of South Florida College of Nursing; Sigma Theta Tau International; Florida Organization of Nurse Executives
Conference Location:
Naples, Florida, USA
Description:
7th Annual Florida Magnet Research Conference - Theme: Research at the Point of Care. Held 11-13 February 2010 at the Naples Grande Beach Resort, Naples, Florida, USA.
Note:
This is an abstract-only submission. If the author has submitted a full-text item based on this abstract, you may find it by browsing the Virginia Henderson Global Nursing e-Repository by author. If author contact information is available in this abstract, please feel free to contact him or her with your queries regarding this submission. Alternatively, please contact the conference host, journal, or publisher (according to the circumstance) for further details regarding this item. If a citation is listed in this record, the item has been published and is available via open-access avenues or a journal/database subscription. Contact your library for assistance in obtaining the as-published article.

Full metadata record

DC FieldValue Language
dc.type.categoryAbstracten_US
dc.typePresentationen_GB
dc.titleImplementing Shared Governance at the Unit Levelen_GB
dc.contributor.authorEvidente, E.en_US
dc.author.detailsE. Evidente, RNC, BSN, MA/HRDV, Munroe Regional Medical Center, Ocala, FL, email: joevangie@aol.comen_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10755/183066-
dc.description.abstractPurpose: The purpose of this project was to develop and implement a shared governance structure at the unit level by establishing unit-based councils (UBCs) that are in conjunction and congruence with the current organization-wide nursing councils at Munroe that have been in existence for more than 10 years. Method: A Unit-Based Shared Governance (UB SG) Design Team was established to implement a shared governance structure at the unit level as well as to create and maintain a shared governance culture. The process started with a site visit by all team members to St. Joseph Hospital in Atlanta, Georgia, the "birthplace" of nursing shared governance to learn more about its concept and application. A model and structure for unit-based council shared governance was established and tools for implementation were developed. The UB SG Design Team conducted a survey to measure the current staff nurse practice environment perceived by direct care nurses prior to UBC implementation and the team developed actions for the four largest areas for improvement that were identified. The shared governance communication structure was improved through the development and revision of council web sites to facilitate a 2-way communication process utilizing the blog format. Unit shared governance nurse liaisons were also established on each nursing unit to further facilitate communication of shared governance information between the units and the Design Team. Unit-based council by-laws and a unit charter template were developed. Shared governance and unit-based council education and training of direct care nurses interested in leading or participating on a unit council were provided by the Design Team. The UBC was then rolled out for its hospital-wide implementation. Results: As a result of the Design Team?s efforts, 18 unit-based councils were established, which is 75% of all nursing units and procedure departments where nurses practice, with the remaining 25% in the planning stage of implementation. UBCs are sustained by quarterly UBC bashes attended by UBC leaders where each UBC accomplishments are recognized and celebrated and challenges are discussed. Discussion: There are data results that are still pending. These data include the post implementation staff nurse practice environment survey that will be repeated 12 months post UBC implementation and the RN satisfaction NDNQI survey to be conducted on September 2010. Currently, efforts are being taken to sustain shared governance at the unit level by each unit-based council. Efforts to improve coordination between organization-wide councils and the unit-based councils are in process through establishment of unit nurse liaisons to communicate input and feedback between the organization-wide councils and each nursing unit.en_GB
dc.date.available2011-10-28T16:13:06Z-
dc.date.issued2011-10-28en_GB
dc.date.accessioned2011-10-28T16:13:06Z-
dc.conference.date2010en_US
dc.conference.name7th Annual Florida Magnet Research Conferenceen_US
dc.conference.hostUniversity of South Florida College of Nursingen_US
dc.conference.hostSigma Theta Tau Internationalen_US
dc.conference.hostFlorida Organization of Nurse Executivesen_US
dc.conference.locationNaples, Florida, USAen_US
dc.description7th Annual Florida Magnet Research Conference - Theme: Research at the Point of Care. Held 11-13 February 2010 at the Naples Grande Beach Resort, Naples, Florida, USA.en_US
dc.description.noteThis is an abstract-only submission. If the author has submitted a full-text item based on this abstract, you may find it by browsing the Virginia Henderson Global Nursing e-Repository by author. If author contact information is available in this abstract, please feel free to contact him or her with your queries regarding this submission. Alternatively, please contact the conference host, journal, or publisher (according to the circumstance) for further details regarding this item. If a citation is listed in this record, the item has been published and is available via open-access avenues or a journal/database subscription. Contact your library for assistance in obtaining the as-published article.-
All Items in this repository are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.