Using Recognition to Build a Strong Nursing Community: UnitedHealth Group's Sages of Clinical Services Recognition Program

8.50
Hdl Handle:
http://hdl.handle.net/10755/290989
Category:
Abstract
Type:
Presentation
Title:
Using Recognition to Build a Strong Nursing Community: UnitedHealth Group's Sages of Clinical Services Recognition Program
Author(s):
Waters, Evonne D.
Lead Author STTI Affiliation:
Non-member
Author Details:
Evonne D. Waters, MPH, BSN, BA, RN-BC, CSSBB, PMP, evonne.waters@optum.com
Abstract:

Session presented on Sunday, April 14, 2013

“You all have rekindled my love for this nursing profession, my pride for our organization, the joy of helping each individual we come in contact with daily from the smallest to the biggest of needs and the value we hold as we strive every day to help people truly live healthier lives.” -  2011 Sages of Clinical Services Award Winner.

The Sages of Clinical Services Award (Sages) publicly recognizes nursing professionals who serve our enterprise.  This recognition program began in Evercare, the UnitedHealth Group (UHG) hospice care division, in 2004 and under the direction of the Center for Nursing Advancement (CfNA), was expanded in 2009 to encompass eight distinct UHG businesses.  The Sages program expansion came about during a time when the corporate voluntary turnover rate for nurses exceeded the rate for non-nurses by 6%.  The Sages program contributed to a 5% decrease in voluntary turnover through supporting the overall increase in nurse engagement scores by 11%.

The Sages program has helped to build a strong UHG nursing community.  Today, over 900 individuals participate in the program.  “Sages” is communicated broadly throughout the company via corporate websites, newsletters, and emails to over 10,000 nurses.  Videography and telecasts of the three day event promotes virtual participation in the celebration.

“Sages” serves as a best practice for the industry. The Healthcare Futures Recognition Consortium study showed that “recognition links performance to goals”.  Since the inception, award winners have had significantly higher promotion rates: 5.1% vs. 2.1% and lower voluntary turnover: 2.9% vs. 7.5% for UHG nurses who rated “exceeds expectations”. These outcomes were seen within one year of receiving the award.  For the 2009 Sage cohort (21 nurses):  100% rated “exceeds expectations” in 2010, a year-over-year increase of 19%. In addition, 23.8% received a promotion within 1 year of receiving the award.

Keywords:
Recognition; Retention
Repository Posting Date:
13-May-2013
Date of Publication:
13-May-2013
Conference Date:
2013
Conference Name:
Creating Healthy Work Environments
Conference Host:
Sigma Theta Tau International, the Honor Society of Nursing
Conference Location:
Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Description:
Creating Healthy Work Environments. Held at the JW Marriott, Indianapolis
Note:
This is an abstract-only submission. If the author has submitted a full-text item related to this abstract, you may find it by browsing the repository by author. If author contact information is available in this abstract, please feel free to contact him or her with your queries regarding this submission.

Full metadata record

DC FieldValue Language
dc.language.isoen_USen_GB
dc.type.categoryAbstracten_GB
dc.typePresentationen_GB
dc.titleUsing Recognition to Build a Strong Nursing Community: UnitedHealth Group's Sages of Clinical Services Recognition Programen_GB
dc.contributor.authorWaters, Evonne D.en_GB
dc.contributor.departmentNon-memberen_GB
dc.author.detailsEvonne D. Waters, MPH, BSN, BA, RN-BC, CSSBB, PMP, evonne.waters@optum.comen_GB
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10755/290989-
dc.description.abstract<p>Session presented on Sunday, April 14, 2013</p>&ldquo;You all have rekindled my love for this nursing profession, my pride for our organization, the joy of helping each individual we come in contact with daily from the smallest to the biggest of needs and the value we hold as we strive every day to help people truly live healthier lives.&rdquo; -&nbsp; 2011 Sages of Clinical Services Award Winner. <p>The Sages of Clinical Services Award (Sages) publicly recognizes nursing professionals who serve our enterprise.&nbsp; This recognition program began in Evercare, the UnitedHealth Group (UHG) hospice care division, in 2004 and under the direction of the Center for Nursing Advancement (CfNA), was expanded in 2009 to encompass eight distinct UHG businesses.&nbsp; The Sages program expansion came about during a time when the corporate voluntary turnover rate for nurses exceeded the rate for non-nurses by 6%.&nbsp; The Sages program contributed to a 5% decrease in voluntary turnover through supporting the overall increase in nurse engagement scores by 11%. <p>The Sages program has helped to build a strong UHG nursing community.&nbsp; Today, over 900 individuals participate in the program.&nbsp; &ldquo;Sages&rdquo; is communicated broadly throughout the company via corporate websites, newsletters, and emails to over 10,000 nurses.&nbsp; Videography and telecasts of the three day event promotes virtual participation in the celebration. <p>&ldquo;Sages&rdquo; serves as a best practice for the industry. The Healthcare Futures Recognition Consortium study showed that &ldquo;recognition links performance to goals&rdquo;.&nbsp; Since the inception, award winners have had significantly higher promotion rates: 5.1% vs. 2.1% and lower voluntary turnover: 2.9% vs. 7.5% for UHG nurses who rated &ldquo;exceeds expectations&rdquo;. These outcomes were seen within one year of receiving the award.&nbsp; For the 2009 Sage cohort (21 nurses):&nbsp; 100% rated &ldquo;exceeds expectations&rdquo; in 2010, a year-over-year increase of 19%. In addition, 23.8% received a promotion within 1 year of receiving the award.en_GB
dc.subjectRecognitionen_GB
dc.subjectRetentionen_GB
dc.date.available2013-05-13T10:24:13Z-
dc.date.issued2013-05-13-
dc.date.accessioned2013-05-13T10:24:13Z-
dc.conference.date2013en_GB
dc.conference.nameCreating Healthy Work Environmentsen_GB
dc.conference.hostSigma Theta Tau International, the Honor Society of Nursingen_GB
dc.conference.locationIndianapolis, Indiana, USAen_GB
dc.descriptionCreating Healthy Work Environments. Held at the JW Marriott, Indianapolisen_GB
dc.description.noteThis is an abstract-only submission. If the author has submitted a full-text item related to this abstract, you may find it by browsing the repository by author. If author contact information is available in this abstract, please feel free to contact him or her with your queries regarding this submission.en_GB
All Items in this repository are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.