2.50
Hdl Handle:
http://hdl.handle.net/10755/307895
Category:
Abstract
Type:
Presentation
Title:
Reproductive Life Planning for Battered Women
Author(s):
Liu, Fuqin; Scott Tilley, Donna
Lead Author STTI Affiliation:
Gamma Alpha
Author Details:
Fuqin Liu, PhD, RN, fliu@twu.edu; Donna Scott Tilley, PhD
Abstract:

Poster presented on: Monday, November 18, 2013, Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Introduction: Growing evidence indicates that battered women have more difficulties achieving optimal preconception health, which refers to the health before pregnancy.  One effective preconception health promotion strategy is to have a reproductive life plan, which is a set of personal goals about having or not having children. The purpose of this qualitative study was to: 1) describe battered women’s perceptions about reproductive life planning; and 2) describe battered women’s experiences with reproductive health following establishment of a reproductive life plan.

Method: This was a feasibility study. Twenty nine reproductive aged women who do not have a reproductive life plan participated in the study.  All participants screened positive for intimate partner violence (IPV) on the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance IPV Module. We interviewed the participants about their perceptions of reproductive life planning, then assisted them to develop a reproductive life plan. Participants completed a questionnaire via PsychData three months post interview.

Results: Of all the participants, 41% had given birth, and the remaining 59% all reported the desire to have at least one child.  We identified four major themes in relation to the concept of reproductive life planning: a) uncertainty of the father’s presence, b) worry of the financial burden, c) sense of insecurity in the relationship, and d) concerns for child’s safety.  Participants expressed the fear to disclose their reproductive life plans to their past or current abusive partner. Participants described unique challenges to follow their reproductive life plan.

Conclusion and Implications: All participants in this study either had children or were interested in having children. Their experience as a victim of IPV impacted their view of what reproductive life planning entails. Healthcare providers should evaluate the dynamics of the abusive relationship while assisting battered women to develop an achievable and realistic reproductive life plan.

Keywords:
Battered women; Reproductive life planning
Repository Posting Date:
19-Dec-2013
Date of Publication:
19-Dec-2013
Conference Date:
2013
Conference Name:
42nd Biennial Convention
Conference Host:
Sigma Theta Tau International, the Honor Society of Nursing
Conference Location:
Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Description:
42nd Biennial Convention 2013 Theme: Give Back to Move Forward. Held at the JW Marriott
Note:
This is an abstract-only submission. If the author has submitted a full-text item based on this abstract, you may find it by browsing the Virginia Henderson Global Nursing e-Repository by author. If author contact information is available in this abstract, please feel free to contact him or her with your queries regarding this submission.

Full metadata record

DC FieldValue Language
dc.language.isoen_USen_GB
dc.type.categoryAbstracten_GB
dc.typePresentationen_GB
dc.titleReproductive Life Planning for Battered Womenen_GB
dc.contributor.authorLiu, Fuqinen_GB
dc.contributor.authorScott Tilley, Donnaen_GB
dc.contributor.departmentGamma Alphaen_GB
dc.author.detailsFuqin Liu, PhD, RN, fliu@twu.edu; Donna Scott Tilley, PhDen_GB
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10755/307895-
dc.description.abstract<p>Poster presented on: Monday, November 18, 2013, Tuesday, November 19, 2013</p><b>Introduction: </b>Growing evidence indicates that battered women have more difficulties achieving optimal preconception health, which refers to the health before pregnancy.  One effective preconception health promotion strategy is to have a reproductive life plan, which is a set of personal goals about having or not having children. The purpose of this qualitative study was to: 1) describe battered women’s perceptions about reproductive life planning; and 2) describe battered women’s experiences with reproductive health following establishment of a reproductive life plan. <p align="left"><b>Method:</b> This was a feasibility study. Twenty nine reproductive aged women who do not have a reproductive life plan participated in the study.  All participants screened positive for intimate partner violence (IPV) on the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance IPV Module. We interviewed the participants about their perceptions of reproductive life planning, then assisted them to develop a reproductive life plan. Participants completed a questionnaire via PsychData three months post interview. <p class="abody"><b>Results:</b> Of all the participants, 41% had given birth, and the remaining 59% all reported the desire to have at least one child.  We identified four major themes in relation to the concept of reproductive life planning: a) uncertainty of the father’s presence, b) worry of the financial burden, c) sense of insecurity in the relationship, and d) concerns for child’s safety.  Participants expressed the fear to disclose their reproductive life plans to their past or current abusive partner. Participants described unique challenges to follow their reproductive life plan. <p class="abody"><b>Conclusion and Implications:</b> All participants in this study either had children or were interested in having children. Their experience as a victim of IPV impacted their view of what reproductive life planning entails. Healthcare providers should evaluate the dynamics of the abusive relationship while assisting battered women to develop an achievable and realistic reproductive life plan.en_GB
dc.subjectBattered womenen_GB
dc.subjectReproductive life planningen_GB
dc.date.available2013-12-19T17:23:47Z-
dc.date.issued2013-12-19-
dc.date.accessioned2013-12-19T17:23:47Z-
dc.conference.date2013en_GB
dc.conference.name42nd Biennial Conventionen_GB
dc.conference.hostSigma Theta Tau International, the Honor Society of Nursingen_GB
dc.conference.locationIndianapolis, Indiana, USAen_GB
dc.description42nd Biennial Convention 2013 Theme: Give Back to Move Forward. Held at the JW Marriotten_GB
dc.description.noteThis is an abstract-only submission. If the author has submitted a full-text item based on this abstract, you may find it by browsing the Virginia Henderson Global Nursing e-Repository by author. If author contact information is available in this abstract, please feel free to contact him or her with your queries regarding this submission.en_GB
All Items in this repository are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.