Help-Seeking Behaviors for Counseling and Psychological Services among Hispanic Lesbians and Bisexual Women

2.50
Hdl Handle:
http://hdl.handle.net/10755/601493
Category:
Full-text
Format:
Text-based Document
Type:
Poster
Title:
Help-Seeking Behaviors for Counseling and Psychological Services among Hispanic Lesbians and Bisexual Women
Author(s):
Jeong, Yoo Mi
Lead Author STTI Affiliation:
Non-member
Author Details:
Yoo Mi Jeong, RN, yjeong20@uic.edu
Abstract:
Session presented on Saturday, July 25, 2015: Purpose: 'The purpose of the study was to examine the effect of acculturation on the relationships among predisposing characteristics, enabling characteristics, and use of counseling and psychological services for depression and heavy drinking by Hispanic lesbians and bisexual women. Methods: 'The sample includes 354 participants from the original cohort and 373 participants from the new supplemental sample added in wave 3 of the Chicago Health and Life Experiences of Women (CHLEW) study. Results: 'The mean age for the sample was 40 years (SD = 14.0). Nearly one-fourth (23.7%, n = 172) of the sample identified as Hispanic. Among Hispanic participants, most identified as lesbian (72.3%); the remainder identified as bisexual (27.7%). Hispanic SMWs were found to use less or no counseling and psychological services compared with non-Hispanics. Predictors for using these services also differed by ethnicity: lifetime depression and income were predictors for using these services among Hispanic participants, whereas both lifetime and the past 12-month depression based on the Diagnostic Interview Schedule (DIS), education, and income was predictors among non-Hispanics. The results of this study highlight potential predictors for Hispanic SMWs' use of services for issues related to their depression and heavy drinking. In addition, in both the Hispanic (OR=2.69, CI: 1.21-5.98) (p<.05) and non-Hispanic (OR=1.76, CI: 1.28, 2.43) (p<.01) groups, acculturation in terms of the ethnic social relations subscale mediated the relationship between predisposing characteristics and use of mental healthcare services.' Conclusion: 'The results of this study may be helpful in understanding different predictors for using these services. In addition, the study findings may support examination of the effect of acculturation on the relationship between predisposing characteristics and using these services according to ethnic differences. In both the Hispanic and non-Hispanic groups, acculturation in terms of ethnic social relations had an independent effect on the relationship among predisposing characteristics, other enabling characteristics, and use of mental health services.
Keywords:
help-seeking; acculturation; Hispanic sexual minority
MeSH:
Hispanic Americans
CINAHL Headings:
GLBT�Persons; Women's Health; Acculturation; Help Seeking Behavior; Help Seeking Behavior--Evaluation
Repository Posting Date:
17-Mar-2016
Date of Publication:
17-Mar-2016 ; 17-Mar-2016
Other Identifiers:
INRC15PST249
Conference Date:
2015
Conference Name:
26th International Nursing Research Congress
Conference Host:
Sigma Theta Tau International, the Honor Society of Nursing
Conference Location:
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Description:
Research Congress 2015 Theme: Question Locally, Engage Regionally, Apply Globally. Held at the Puerto Rico Convention Center.

Full metadata record

DC FieldValue Language
dc.language.isoenen
dc.type.categoryFull-texten
dc.formatText-based Documenten
dc.typePosteren
dc.titleHelp-Seeking Behaviors for Counseling and Psychological Services among Hispanic Lesbians and Bisexual Womenen
dc.contributor.authorJeong, Yoo Mien
dc.contributor.departmentNon-memberen
dc.author.detailsYoo Mi Jeong, RN, yjeong20@uic.eduen
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10755/601493-
dc.description.abstractSession presented on Saturday, July 25, 2015: Purpose: 'The purpose of the study was to examine the effect of acculturation on the relationships among predisposing characteristics, enabling characteristics, and use of counseling and psychological services for depression and heavy drinking by Hispanic lesbians and bisexual women. Methods: 'The sample includes 354 participants from the original cohort and 373 participants from the new supplemental sample added in wave 3 of the Chicago Health and Life Experiences of Women (CHLEW) study. Results: 'The mean age for the sample was 40 years (SD = 14.0). Nearly one-fourth (23.7%, n = 172) of the sample identified as Hispanic. Among Hispanic participants, most identified as lesbian (72.3%); the remainder identified as bisexual (27.7%). Hispanic SMWs were found to use less or no counseling and psychological services compared with non-Hispanics. Predictors for using these services also differed by ethnicity: lifetime depression and income were predictors for using these services among Hispanic participants, whereas both lifetime and the past 12-month depression based on the Diagnostic Interview Schedule (DIS), education, and income was predictors among non-Hispanics. The results of this study highlight potential predictors for Hispanic SMWs' use of services for issues related to their depression and heavy drinking. In addition, in both the Hispanic (OR=2.69, CI: 1.21-5.98) (p<.05) and non-Hispanic (OR=1.76, CI: 1.28, 2.43) (p<.01) groups, acculturation in terms of the ethnic social relations subscale mediated the relationship between predisposing characteristics and use of mental healthcare services.' Conclusion: 'The results of this study may be helpful in understanding different predictors for using these services. In addition, the study findings may support examination of the effect of acculturation on the relationship between predisposing characteristics and using these services according to ethnic differences. In both the Hispanic and non-Hispanic groups, acculturation in terms of ethnic social relations had an independent effect on the relationship among predisposing characteristics, other enabling characteristics, and use of mental health services.en
dc.subjecthelp-seekingen
dc.subjectacculturationen
dc.subjectHispanic sexual minorityen
dc.subject.meshHispanic Americansen
dc.subject.cinahlGLBT�Personsen
dc.subject.cinahlWomen's Healthen
dc.subject.cinahlAcculturationen
dc.subject.cinahlHelp Seeking Behavioren
dc.subject.cinahlHelp Seeking Behavior--Evaluationen
dc.date.available2016-03-17T12:49:23Zen
dc.date.issued2016-03-17-
dc.date.issued2016-03-17en
dc.date.accessioned2016-03-17T12:49:23Zen
dc.conference.date2015en
dc.conference.name26th International Nursing Research Congressen
dc.conference.hostSigma Theta Tau International, the Honor Society of Nursingen
dc.conference.locationSan Juan, Puerto Ricoen
dc.descriptionResearch Congress 2015 Theme: Question Locally, Engage Regionally, Apply Globally. Held at the Puerto Rico Convention Center.en
All Items in this repository are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.