Measuring Helping Relationships in Promoting Healthy Lifestyle for Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease

2.50
Hdl Handle:
http://hdl.handle.net/10755/601646
Category:
Full-text
Format:
Text-based Document
Type:
Poster
Title:
Measuring Helping Relationships in Promoting Healthy Lifestyle for Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease
Author(s):
Yen, Miaofen
Lead Author STTI Affiliation:
Lambda Beta-at-Large
Author Details:
Miaofen Yen, PhD, RN, FAAN, miaofen@mail.ncku.edu.tw
Abstract:
Session presented on Friday, July 24, 2015: Purpose: This research was to evaluate the psychometric properties of an instrument developed to measure the helping relationships for practicing healthy lifestyle among Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) patients from significant others. Helping relationships from significant others assist people to maintain healthy lifestyle, improve quality of life and postpone the progression of CKD. Significant others may give support to build up competence of decision-making and insistence through satisfaction and intimacy relationship, such as empathy, caring, trust, listening, acceptance, understanding, praise and suggestion for facilitating healthy lifestyle to patients with CKD. Methods: This was a descriptive study using cross-sectional design. Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease were recruited from August 2013 to July 2014 at outpatient clinics in two hospitals in Southern Taiwan. Data were collected using self-report questionnaires and analyzed using descriptive statistics. Expert validity was applied to evaluate the content validity of this instrument using content validity index (CVI). Internal consistency, Cronbach's alpha, was adopted for evaluating the reliability. Item difficulty and item discrimination were calculated to describe each item. Explore factor analysis were used for construct validity. Results: Total of 250 subjects participated in this study. The equivalence, clarity and readability of content validity index (CVI) were 97%, 98% and 98%, separately. The overall reliability of Cronbach's Alpha was appropriate (>.90). The item analysis indicated the discrimination and difficulty of each item within an acceptable range. Item-total correlations of the overall scales ranged from 0.50 to 0.94, and item-subscale correlations ranged from 0.50 to 0.94. The 2-factor model of Helping Relationships questionnaire explained, respectively, 75.0% and 6.2% of total variance; the two together explained 81.2% of total variance. Conclusion: The psychometrics revealed that the questionnaire is valid and reliable. The final instrument was composed two factors and 24 items. These findings have implications for patients with CKD to build up, maintaining healthy lifestyles and delay progression of CKD through helping from significant others.
Keywords:
Helping relationships; Healthy lifestyle; Chronic Kidney Disease
Repository Posting Date:
17-Mar-2016
Date of Publication:
17-Mar-2016 ; 17-Mar-2016
Other Identifiers:
INRC15PST116
Conference Date:
2015
Conference Name:
26th International Nursing Research Congress
Conference Host:
Sigma Theta Tau International, the Honor Society of Nursing
Conference Location:
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Description:
Research Congress 2015 Theme: Question Locally, Engage Regionally, Apply Globally. Held at the Puerto Rico Convention Center.

Full metadata record

DC FieldValue Language
dc.language.isoenen
dc.type.categoryFull-texten
dc.formatText-based Documenten
dc.typePosteren
dc.titleMeasuring Helping Relationships in Promoting Healthy Lifestyle for Patients with Chronic Kidney Diseaseen
dc.contributor.authorYen, Miaofenen
dc.contributor.departmentLambda Beta-at-Largeen
dc.author.detailsMiaofen Yen, PhD, RN, FAAN, miaofen@mail.ncku.edu.twen
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10755/601646-
dc.description.abstractSession presented on Friday, July 24, 2015: Purpose: This research was to evaluate the psychometric properties of an instrument developed to measure the helping relationships for practicing healthy lifestyle among Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) patients from significant others. Helping relationships from significant others assist people to maintain healthy lifestyle, improve quality of life and postpone the progression of CKD. Significant others may give support to build up competence of decision-making and insistence through satisfaction and intimacy relationship, such as empathy, caring, trust, listening, acceptance, understanding, praise and suggestion for facilitating healthy lifestyle to patients with CKD. Methods: This was a descriptive study using cross-sectional design. Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease were recruited from August 2013 to July 2014 at outpatient clinics in two hospitals in Southern Taiwan. Data were collected using self-report questionnaires and analyzed using descriptive statistics. Expert validity was applied to evaluate the content validity of this instrument using content validity index (CVI). Internal consistency, Cronbach's alpha, was adopted for evaluating the reliability. Item difficulty and item discrimination were calculated to describe each item. Explore factor analysis were used for construct validity. Results: Total of 250 subjects participated in this study. The equivalence, clarity and readability of content validity index (CVI) were 97%, 98% and 98%, separately. The overall reliability of Cronbach's Alpha was appropriate (>.90). The item analysis indicated the discrimination and difficulty of each item within an acceptable range. Item-total correlations of the overall scales ranged from 0.50 to 0.94, and item-subscale correlations ranged from 0.50 to 0.94. The 2-factor model of Helping Relationships questionnaire explained, respectively, 75.0% and 6.2% of total variance; the two together explained 81.2% of total variance. Conclusion: The psychometrics revealed that the questionnaire is valid and reliable. The final instrument was composed two factors and 24 items. These findings have implications for patients with CKD to build up, maintaining healthy lifestyles and delay progression of CKD through helping from significant others.en
dc.subjectHelping relationshipsen
dc.subjectHealthy lifestyleen
dc.subjectChronic Kidney Diseaseen
dc.date.available2016-03-17T12:51:40Zen
dc.date.issued2016-03-17-
dc.date.issued2016-03-17en
dc.date.accessioned2016-03-17T12:51:40Zen
dc.conference.date2015en
dc.conference.name26th International Nursing Research Congressen
dc.conference.hostSigma Theta Tau International, the Honor Society of Nursingen
dc.conference.locationSan Juan, Puerto Ricoen
dc.descriptionResearch Congress 2015 Theme: Question Locally, Engage Regionally, Apply Globally. Held at the Puerto Rico Convention Center.en
All Items in this repository are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.