Multi-Method Approach to Improve Satisfaction With Communication of Medication Side-Effects on a Medical-Surgical Unit

2.50
Hdl Handle:
http://hdl.handle.net/10755/616186
Category:
Full-text
Type:
Presentation
Title:
Multi-Method Approach to Improve Satisfaction With Communication of Medication Side-Effects on a Medical-Surgical Unit
Other Titles:
Improving Nursing Through Communication and Leadership
Author(s):
Byrnes, Tru
Lead Author STTI Affiliation:
Gamma Iota
Author Details:
Tru Byrnes, RN, CNL, CMSRN, tru.byrnes@carolinashealthcare.org
Abstract:
Session presented on Thursday, July 21, 2016: Background: Patient satisfaction related to hospital experience is viewed as a key indicator for quality of care (Ahrens & Wirges, 2013).' More specifically, patient satisfaction scores related to communicating medication side effects on a medical-surgical unit are below the national benchmark. 'An immediate intervention to improve the process was necessary.' Improving patient satisfaction about communication of medication side effects not only increases the patient?s knowledge, but also improves health outcomes. 'Nurses play an important role in providing education and evaluating the patients? knowledge about newly prescribed medications through effective communication (Ahren & Wirges, 2013).' The purpose of this evidence-based practice change project was to develop an educational approach on how to use a scripted Ask 3 / Teach 3 technique to educate and evaluate medication teaching and its effectiveness in improving overall patient satisfaction scores related to communication of medication side effects.' Aims: The purpose of this evidence-based project change was to increase patients? knowledge about medication side effects.' The project?s goal was to increase overall patient satisfaction HCAPHS scores relating to communication of medication side effects. 'Description of method: A descriptive quasi-experimental design was utilized to guide this project.' Multiple intervention approaches were used for this evidence-based practice project. 'Education was provided to nurses on the importance of providing patient education on side effects and to the use of the Ask 3/ Teach 3 technique method to teach and evaluate patient?s knowledge about medication side effects. 'A scripted laminated sheet with the Ask 3/ Teach 3 technique was hung in each patients? room as a reminder to prompt the patient/family to ask questions when receiving medications.' Education was also provided to patients/family on the use the of the Interactive Patient Care system (IPC) to access medication education.' Lastly, a laminated patient education sheet containing the most commonly prescribed medications for the unit including the side effects was hung on each computer on wheel (COW) for easy access. 'This made it readily available for nurses as a reference during patient teaching prior to medication administration.' All medication education material was written at a fifth grade level with no medical jargon (Mayer & Villaire, 2009). Outcomes/dataAfter two months of implementation of the Ask 3/ Teach 3 program, the data showed a 32 % increase in overall patient satisfaction scores related to communication about medicines from 55.5% to 87.5%. 'More specifically, the survey question related to how often the ?staff describe medicine side effects? showed a 50% increase from 20% to 75% post implementation of the project.' Additionally, the data also showed that patient/family use of the IPC system to view medications education increased 62%.' Recommendations:The success of this project depended on staff accountability in providing patient education and evaluating the patient?s knowledge as medication was administered to improve the overall patient satisfaction and use of the IPC system.' Therefore, it is essential to continue to remind the staff to practice this new technique and educate patients on the use of the IPC system.' Patient education can be time consuming, therefore, it is important to have adequate staffing.' Additionally, a laminated sheet containing the scripted Ask 3/ Teach 3 technique that was hung in the patient?s room should be printed on something larger than 8 x 11 paper size for easy viewing.' Due to the use of a multi-method approach, it was difficult to determine which intervention had the most impact on the result.
Keywords:
HCAHPS; Medication Side Effects; Ask 3 / Teach 3
Repository Posting Date:
13-Jul-2016
Date of Publication:
13-Jul-2016 ; 13-Jul-2016
Other Identifiers:
INRC16C11; INRC16C11
Conference Date:
2016
Conference Name:
27th International Nursing Research Congress
Conference Host:
Sigma Theta Tau International, the Honor Society of Nursing
Conference Location:
Cape Town, South Africa
Description:
Theme: Leading Global Research: Advancing Practice, Advocacy, and Policy

Full metadata record

DC FieldValue Language
dc.language.isoenen
dc.type.categoryFull-texten
dc.typePresentationen
dc.titleMulti-Method Approach to Improve Satisfaction With Communication of Medication Side-Effects on a Medical-Surgical Uniten
dc.title.alternativeImproving Nursing Through Communication and Leadershipen
dc.contributor.authorByrnes, Truen
dc.contributor.departmentGamma Iotaen
dc.author.detailsTru Byrnes, RN, CNL, CMSRN, tru.byrnes@carolinashealthcare.orgen
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10755/616186-
dc.description.abstractSession presented on Thursday, July 21, 2016: Background: Patient satisfaction related to hospital experience is viewed as a key indicator for quality of care (Ahrens & Wirges, 2013).' More specifically, patient satisfaction scores related to communicating medication side effects on a medical-surgical unit are below the national benchmark. 'An immediate intervention to improve the process was necessary.' Improving patient satisfaction about communication of medication side effects not only increases the patient?s knowledge, but also improves health outcomes. 'Nurses play an important role in providing education and evaluating the patients? knowledge about newly prescribed medications through effective communication (Ahren & Wirges, 2013).' The purpose of this evidence-based practice change project was to develop an educational approach on how to use a scripted Ask 3 / Teach 3 technique to educate and evaluate medication teaching and its effectiveness in improving overall patient satisfaction scores related to communication of medication side effects.' Aims: The purpose of this evidence-based project change was to increase patients? knowledge about medication side effects.' The project?s goal was to increase overall patient satisfaction HCAPHS scores relating to communication of medication side effects. 'Description of method: A descriptive quasi-experimental design was utilized to guide this project.' Multiple intervention approaches were used for this evidence-based practice project. 'Education was provided to nurses on the importance of providing patient education on side effects and to the use of the Ask 3/ Teach 3 technique method to teach and evaluate patient?s knowledge about medication side effects. 'A scripted laminated sheet with the Ask 3/ Teach 3 technique was hung in each patients? room as a reminder to prompt the patient/family to ask questions when receiving medications.' Education was also provided to patients/family on the use the of the Interactive Patient Care system (IPC) to access medication education.' Lastly, a laminated patient education sheet containing the most commonly prescribed medications for the unit including the side effects was hung on each computer on wheel (COW) for easy access. 'This made it readily available for nurses as a reference during patient teaching prior to medication administration.' All medication education material was written at a fifth grade level with no medical jargon (Mayer & Villaire, 2009). Outcomes/dataAfter two months of implementation of the Ask 3/ Teach 3 program, the data showed a 32 % increase in overall patient satisfaction scores related to communication about medicines from 55.5% to 87.5%. 'More specifically, the survey question related to how often the ?staff describe medicine side effects? showed a 50% increase from 20% to 75% post implementation of the project.' Additionally, the data also showed that patient/family use of the IPC system to view medications education increased 62%.' Recommendations:The success of this project depended on staff accountability in providing patient education and evaluating the patient?s knowledge as medication was administered to improve the overall patient satisfaction and use of the IPC system.' Therefore, it is essential to continue to remind the staff to practice this new technique and educate patients on the use of the IPC system.' Patient education can be time consuming, therefore, it is important to have adequate staffing.' Additionally, a laminated sheet containing the scripted Ask 3/ Teach 3 technique that was hung in the patient?s room should be printed on something larger than 8 x 11 paper size for easy viewing.' Due to the use of a multi-method approach, it was difficult to determine which intervention had the most impact on the result.en
dc.subjectHCAHPSen
dc.subjectMedication Side Effectsen
dc.subjectAsk 3 / Teach 3en
dc.date.available2016-07-13T11:06:29Z-
dc.date.issued2016-07-13-
dc.date.issued2016-07-13en
dc.date.accessioned2016-07-13T11:06:29Z-
dc.conference.date2016en
dc.conference.name27th International Nursing Research Congressen
dc.conference.hostSigma Theta Tau International, the Honor Society of Nursingen
dc.conference.locationCape Town, South Africaen
dc.descriptionTheme: Leading Global Research: Advancing Practice, Advocacy, and Policyen
All Items in this repository are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.