13.00
Hdl Handle:
http://hdl.handle.net/10755/621219
Category:
Full-text
Format:
Text-based Document
Type:
DNP Capstone Project
Level of Evidence:
Other
Research Approach:
Translational Research/Evidence-based Practice
Title:
The Utilization of an Alarm Elimination Fall Prevention Program
Author(s):
Moses, Angela
Additional Author Information:
Angela Moses, DNP(c), MSN, RN
Advisors:
Forsythe, Lydia L.; Manty, JoAnn; Richard, Palen James
Degree:
DNP
Degree Year:
2016
Grantor:
Capella University
Abstract:

A typical nursing home with 100 beds reports 100-200 falls each year (CDC, 2015). It is common to see the utilization of personal alarms in nursing homes to prevent falls, although there is no evidence to support the idea that personal alarms reduce falls. The project aimed to address the question: In long-term care patients, what is the impact of an alarm elimination program versus current practice of utilizing alarms, on fall rates over a 2-month time frame? The project used a multi-pronged, alarm elimination program. Limitations of the project were an overall low compliance rate among staff, a short time frame, and isolation to a single facility. The results of the project found that no statistical significance was determined in the decrease in fall rates (p=0.29), however, fall rates decreased in frequent fallers (-3.49%, p=0.31), fall rates that excluded frequent fallers (-0.18%, p=0.47), and overall fall rates (-3.66%, p=0.29).

Keywords:
Falls Prevention; alarm; nursing home; long-term care
CINAHL Headings:
Accidental Falls; Accidental Falls--Prevention and Control; Accidental Falls--Prevention and Control--In Old Age; Long Term Care; Nursing Home Patients; Nursing Homes; Equipment Alarm Systems; Equipment Alarm Systems--Utilization
Note:
This work has been approved through a faculty review process prior to its posting in the Virginia Henderson Global Nursing e-Repository.
Repository Posting Date:
2017-02-23T22:01:44Z
Date of Publication:
2017-02-23

Full metadata record

DC FieldValue Language
dc.contributor.advisorForsythe, Lydia L.en
dc.contributor.advisorManty, JoAnnen
dc.contributor.advisorRichard, Palen Jamesen
dc.contributor.authorMoses, Angelaen
dc.date.accessioned2017-02-23T22:01:44Z-
dc.date.available2017-02-23T22:01:44Z-
dc.date.issued2017-02-23-
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10755/621219-
dc.description.abstract<p>A typical nursing home with 100 beds reports 100-200 falls each year (CDC, 2015). It is common to see the utilization of personal alarms in nursing homes to prevent falls, although there is no evidence to support the idea that personal alarms reduce falls. The project aimed to address the question: In long-term care patients, what is the impact of an alarm elimination program versus current practice of utilizing alarms, on fall rates over a 2-month time frame? The project used a multi-pronged, alarm elimination program. Limitations of the project were an overall low compliance rate among staff, a short time frame, and isolation to a single facility. <span>The results of the project found that no statistical significance was determined in the decrease in fall rates (p=0.29), however, fall rates decreased in frequent <em>fallers</em> (-3.49%, p=0.31), fall rates that excluded frequent <em>fallers</em> (-0.18%, p=0.47), and overall fall rates (-3.66%, p=0.29).</p>en
dc.formatText-based Documenten
dc.language.isoen_USen
dc.subjectFalls Preventionen
dc.subjectalarmen
dc.subjectnursing homeen
dc.subjectlong-term careen
dc.titleThe Utilization of an Alarm Elimination Fall Prevention Programen_US
dc.typeDNP Capstone Projecten
thesis.degree.grantorCapella Universityen
thesis.degree.levelDNPen
dc.description.noteThis work has been approved through a faculty review process prior to its posting in the Virginia Henderson Global Nursing e-Repository.-
dc.primary-author.detailsAngela Moses, DNP(c), MSN, RNen
thesis.degree.year2016en
dc.type.categoryFull-texten
dc.evidence.levelOtheren
dc.research.approachTranslational Research/Evidence-based Practiceen
dc.subject.cinahlAccidental Fallsen
dc.subject.cinahlAccidental Falls--Prevention and Controlen
dc.subject.cinahlAccidental Falls--Prevention and Control--In Old Ageen
dc.subject.cinahlLong Term Careen
dc.subject.cinahlNursing Home Patientsen
dc.subject.cinahlNursing Homesen
dc.subject.cinahlEquipment Alarm Systemsen
dc.subject.cinahlEquipment Alarm Systems--Utilizationen
All Items in this repository are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.