Henderson Repository Abstract-only Elimination Policy
In fulfillment of its mission to disseminate nursing research, evidence-based practice materials, and educational/instructional classroom resources in an open environment, the Virginia Henderson Global Nursing e-Repository (Henderson Repository), a free resource of the Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI) has instituted the following abstract-only elimination policy and procedure.
Abstract-only entries are useful when they allow patrons to track an entry to its full-text origin by providing a citation to the publication of record, to current author contact information with sufficient description of the work, and when authors are active participants in the process. Those entries that fail to provide this basic information hinder the mission of the repository and stop it from fulfilling a meaningful service to the nursing profession. In order to allow the Henderson Repository to reach its full potential, abstract-only items will be removed.
Immediate Removal Criteria
- Any abstract-only entry that lacks author identification and/or author contact information, or
- Any abstract-only entry that is incomplete (i.e., lacking other key information, vague abstract, author is no longer an STTI member and the author contact information is outdated).
Round 1 Removals
Any abstract-only entry dated 2009 or earlier regardless of the presence of author identification, contact information, or completeness, will be withdrawn from the Henderson Repository on 1 July, 2016.
Authors have the opportunity to attach an accompanying file to each of their existing abstract-only entries. Such full-text records will remain in the repository, provide that the submitted file is approved. Please complete a Record Preservation Request by 29 June, 2016. See Record Preservation Request, below.
Round 2 Removals
Any abstract-only entry dated 2010-2015 regardless of the presence of author identification, contact information, or completeness, will be withdrawn from the Henderson Repository on 1 July, 2017.
Authors have the opportunity to attach an accompanying file to each of their existing abstract-only entries. Such full-text records will remain in the repository, providing that the submitted file is approved. Please complete a Record Preservation Request by 20 June, 2017. See Record Preservation Request, below.
- Current STTI members will receive notification of withdrawal via the member newsletter, STTI Connect. The notice will appear in the April, May, and June issues.
- Non-STTI members and the public will receive notification of withdrawal via an announcement on the Henderson Repository homepage.
- Nursing organizations that participated in the former Virginia Henderson International Nursing Library, Registry of Nursing Research Conference Abstracts will receive notification of withdrawal via email sent to the last known organizational contact and that organization’s current president. Nursing organizations will be informed of participation alternatives that fit within the Henderson Repository’s mission.
- Notifications and an online announcement will be made no less than three months prior to each of the withdrawal dates.
Record Preservation Request (this opportunity has closed)
Authors have the opportunity to attach a file to each of their existing abstract-only entries. Such full-text records will remain in the repository (and their permanent URL will remain unchanged) provided that the submitted file is approved. Please complete this form by 29 June, 2016 for first round removals and by 1 June, 2017 for second round removals.
Authors may complete this form for all of their entries at any time provided that they meet the first round withdrawal deadline. There is no need to wait for the second round of withdrawals to complete the form for those items dated 2010-2015.
To submit a request,
- Please browse the Henderson Repository under your name and title of your material. Completing a search under both name and title will ensure that you capture all of your work.
- Make a list of all of the permanent URLs for your abstract-only records(e.g., http://www.nursinglibrary.org/vhl/handle/10755/600399 or http://hdl.handle.net/10755/600399)
- Locate all document files that correspond to the abstract entries, and have them ready to attach to the Abstract Preservation Request form.
- Complete and submit an Abstract Preservation Request form for each of your abstract-only records by the deadlines listed above.
If you have questions regarding this policy, please contact Henderson Repository staff at email@example.com.