Where did all the abstracts go?
In the history of the Virginia Henderson Global Nursing e-Repository (formerly the Virginia Henderson International Nursing Library), abstracts have provided the foundation for establishing the repository as a valuable resource for nurses and other information seekers around the world.
To build and maintain its credibility, usability, and reputation, the repository staff is continually evaluating user trends and new developments in online repositories. After careful consideration and discussion, the STTI Board of Directors approved the transition from hosting abstracts to focusing solely on full-text submissions.
So where are the abstracts?
After a two-year effort to contact abstract authors and obtain the related full-text articles to include in the repository, any remaining abstract-only items were removed. The repository now has full-text records only.*
More about the abstracts:
- The abstracts in the Henderson Repository were not related to published articles. They were abstracts of posters, presentations, reports, and other non-published, transitory items.
- The usability of the abstracts relied on authors’ continued participation and willingness and ability to provide the full-text files at the request of other researchers and clinicians.
- As the abstracts aged (97% were over 7 years old), author participation declined and the service was ineffective to those seeking information (Vines, et al., 2014).
- Authors were unwilling or unable to share the files.
- Authors' contact emails were invalid.
- Items were never published in journals or it was impossible to locate them given the information available in the abstract.
Was your abstract removed? Still want the material to be a part of the Henderson Repository?
If you were a presenter (poster or podium) at any STTI-hosted event, you are invited to submit the item with its poster or PowerPoint file to the corresponding STTI event collection. Please contact the repository via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain submission authorization to the appropriate collection or collections.
Report, thesis, dissertation, or non-STTI event materials:
If you were a presenter (poster or podium) at an event hosted by another nursing organization or had an abstract for a research or outcomes report, thesis, or dissertation, you are invited to submit the item with its document file, to an applicable topical collection in the Independent Submission community. Please contact the repository via email at email@example.com to obtain submission authorization to the appropriate collection or collections.
*Abstract-only entries may be allowed when an item has been published in a traditional journal. The Henderson Repository works with the journals in these cases.
Timothy H. Vines, Arianne Y.K. Albert, Rose L. Andrew, Florence Débarre, Dan G. Bock, Michelle T. Franklin, Kimberly J. Gilbert, Jean-Sébastien Moore, Sébastien Renaut, Diana J. Rennison, The Availability of Research Data Declines Rapidly with Article Age, Current Biology, Volume 24, Issue 1, 2014, Pages 94-97, ISSN 0960-9822, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cub.2013.11.014